Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ruminations

Some post reverb10 topics/answers.

"Let Go"

What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?

(Author: Alice Bradley)

Answer :I let go of: Fat pants. Because I have lost 25 pounds of post -2nd pregnancy / post in-a-funk weight.

I did it by exercising a lot, and eating a little better. She helped.

*****************

"Make."

What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

Author:( Gretchen Rubin)

This weekend over New Years Eve, I made homemade granola, veggie/barley/tempeh soup and brownies. The brownie recipe was taken from the inset of the Edge Brownie Pan I received for Christmas. The other 2 food items were of my own creation/ inspiration based on ingredients at hand. My back ached and I was thoroughly tired of my kitchen once this cooking spree was over but it felt good to do a little " cupboard / fridge purge " at years end. Next year, oh , I mean this year! I hope to get back to my sewing. I would love to perfect my cafe aprons and maybe even look for a consignment opportunity by which to sell them through.


********************

December 8 – Beautifully Different.

Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.

(Author: Karen Walrond)

What makes me different? Well to start, I generally have a no Facebook- wall post birthday wish rule-unless I already knew ( without a FB reminder) that it was said persons birthday and even then, I may or may not wish them happy birthday via the wall. I send / give real cards still! heck, post babies I used to make my own cards!


I do laundry almost every day. Sometimes even on holidays. The sound of the dryer is a bit soothing to me.


I admit to holding a grudge, and so in admitting my grudge holding tendencies have been really trying to let go and give the other person a / or business another chance, and yes that means you Whole Foods.


Also, I don't "do" my hair on a daily basis. What ever happens after it dries from the shower is what happens. I'm ok with it.

***********************


"New Name"

Let’s meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?

(Author: Becca Wilcott)

Hi, I'm Tatiana. My great grandmother on my mothers side was named Tatiana. She was 4'10" with black hair and dark olive complexion, she came over to the US on a boat from the Ukraine early 20th century. I carried a piece of her elaborate lace wedding gown with me on my wedding day. Tatiana was also one of the names my mom considered for me before I was born, but her mom cautioned against such "ethnic" sounding names for me ( era? culture? ) I don't know, but instead I was coined Laura, after Laura Horton of Days of Our Lives. So, Instead of me gaining a beautiful family namesake, I am named after a TV character. Which is fine at this point there really are not a lot of Laura's out there. But if I wanted to assume an alias for a day, it would be Tatiana, so that she could live in on all her petite, brave glory.

******

"Photo – a present to yourself"

Sift through all the photos of you from the past year. Choose one that best captures you; either who you are, or who you strive to be. Find the shot of you that is worth a thousand words. Share the image, who shot it, where, and what it best reveals about you.

(Author: Tracey Clark)


This photo is via the talents of Lynsey Peterson, taken during our family photo shoot July 2010.

I think she was just busting my chops about giving her a true smile, when she captured this image of me. I think this captures me "settling in" and feeling my most comfortable with my most favorite people. It's worth noting the ultra fabulous smile on my husband, no ?. Look closely you can see the laugh lines that get me directed to the "early signs of aging" cosmetics dept and that get me called ma'am by grocery store baggers. I am who I am now, and I love my life. Ask my five year old what my full name is and he will say resolutely " Mommy, Laura Ades" yep, that's me.

I choose my friends, and how I spend my time, now wisely, I acknowledge mistakes, strive to get better at all that I do and I am willing to try new things, new food, new routines. And, I am not even close to being afraid of the future because I have the best shoulder to lean on, my teacher my travel companion, my chef, my trainer, my partner in parenting and the love of my life.



Just a few reverb10 ruminations to reflect upon for the New Year, there have been few "prompts" I'd rather not address online, or just maybe don't feel like addressing at all.
But I might revisit them at some time, before or concurrently as I start a new challenge this week that I might like to call "adventures in Vegan living"by way of the Engine 2 diet.










1 comment:

Lynsey Mattingly said...

This is a happy post. :) You are one cool chick, Laura Ades. ;)